Ronn Torossian, the popular CEO of 5WPR, and a leading public relations firm, released a snippet from the public relations book- For Immediate Release, which provides a couple of public relations rules.
According to him
- In public relations and marketing, attention is by far the most precious form of currency. Finding the right attention requires planning and consistency.
- Everyone now has a voice thanks to digital media as well as self-created content. For better or worse, self-created content is extremely important, and in today’s media world, everyone’s opinion counts. When it best fits your purposes and goals, blog, give feedback, and join the conversation.
- PR usually works with evolution as opposed to revolution. It is a good analogy for changes in business and public relations strategy. If you consider taking two steps forward gradually, you may fall backwards a bit. That’s fine. It’s harder to overcome one step reversal than it is to rush and start taking four steps at once, followed by four more. If you trip and fall three or five steps behind, it will be much more difficult to catch up.
- Building relationships has been, and always will be, at the heart of public relations. Previously, you only had to worry about a few beat journalists or talk show hosts. Today, noticing bloggers, Twitter societies, influencing Diggers, Facebook pages, or other collectives is also important.
- Everyone admires a good storyteller; become one. Your story is the ticket into the hearts and minds of others. A wonderful story can transform a person from a bystander to an active participant. Take part in media training before rehearsing and preparing. It is significant.
- Write effectively. They understand the importance of communicating clearly, especially in media releases, because they frequently use direct quotes as news stories—this is known as “churnalism.” Yes, there is now a name for it.